• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Pivot Table with Text: How to View Data

evanlamarr88

I have 27 salesmen with customers in general geographic areas. However, I have two issues I'm hoping to address with this thread.
  1. I'm afraid their geographic areas are becoming too diverse - not enough locality.
  2. I want to be able to see an overview where salesmen have customers.
I've attached a spreadsheet with the general info, but it's not condensed enough. My problem is that there's three columns of data. I want something like a pivot table where I can better manage the data, but Pivot Tables just give numbers. I want to be able to use text instead of "Count, Sum, Average," etc.
  • I want to be able to see how many states in which each salesmen have partners. A pivot table just sums the count of state, so I can't see the number of individual states.
  • I want to be able to put the states as columns and put the owners as row values underneath each state. Pivot tables just put numbers.
  • I want to see how which salesmen have partners in each state. Again, Pivot Tables just counts the number of times a state appears.
I'm also open to any other ways you may better visualize the data. I think INDEX or INDEXMATCH may be a good function to use here, but I've never used them, and Excel's tutorial about them doesn't seem to give a very good overview of their functionality.

Thanks for any insight you can give! I hope my question is not too vague.

Attachments

• Salesman Areas.xlsx
    24.4 KB · Views: 5
Why not use your data to make charts, pivots are there to work with numbers/data

Attachments

• Pivot chart Salesman Areas.xlsx
    45.5 KB · Views: 3
evanlamarr88, Could you add a sample of how the output should look like? And care to share which version of Excel you are using?
Power Query can do a pivot "show" text and does have a count distinct group by. So I think it is do-able in that way.

Back