• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Paste data from outside Excel into merged cells

Yaacov Cohen

In advance, sorry for the wordy post. It's my first one, so please be patient :)

Trying to paste data from outside excel into a merged cell produces an error message. I pretty much have no experience with and am useless at VBA, so if the solution is there I would need step by step help, please.

Basically, I'm trying to create a very basic, and user friendly spreadsheet to record some data at work (I attached a really basic version of what I'm working with) and my manager insists the Cells A1 - A3 be as wide as the rest of the form (for aesthetic reasons:rolleyes:)

The only problem is with A3 (tracking number) as I would like colleagues to be able to c+p this number from our shipping program (to avoid errors and also keep it hyperlinked)

Any ideas?

And please let me know if any clarifications are necessary

Attachments

• sample.xlsx
    8.2 KB · Views: 4
Hi !

As merged cells is a very bad use (and no need with center across …)
so to paste your data once in the cell you must hit F2 key
to enter in edit mode then you can hit Ctrl V …

Yaacov Cohen
Have You tested as below?
1) Copy one data
2) Select cell, eg. B2
3) Activate as below
4) Paste data to it (even hyperlinks would paste, if You've copied correctly! ... not friendly name)
5) repeat steps from 1 to 4 as many times as needed.
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 15.20.58.png

As others have mentioned. Merged cell is nothing more than visual fluff and should be avoided. Only time it's use has merit, is in final output, where no further analysis or calculations are done (even then I'd avoid it).

I've warned my colleagues that they'll receive no help from me if they use merged cell in their workbook. :p

I suppose double clicking into the cell is a simple enough work around (and I'm kicking myself for not thinking to do that.) I wanted the form to be as easy and user friendly as possible. Maybe I'll just get rid of the merged cells.

Thanks ALL for your replies :)

Back