• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Is there a way to show updated rows of an excel sheet in the top rows, from original position

jraju

Hi,
i am having a excel sheet in which i and my staff will be updating. This is a regular worksheet, having names and some data.
I will be updating the data to selected rows,this week, some other rows in next week and so on. It gets updated.
normally when one updates, the data gets updated and saved to the file in the same location. (in the same row). some rows get immediate updates and some other delayed updates.
When i open the excel sheet, i may not know, which row of data i updated yesterday,today, day before yesterday etc.It will show the data in the saved position.
Is there any way to show the latest updated day, day by day hour by hour. So to say that when i updated now, it should be found place in the top rows. When i next click another row for updation, the latest row selected should find the top rows.
Let me say, i do not want vb mechanism, but formula for this. i do not enclose a sample problem sheet

Hi Raju ,

What you want is complex ; it can be simplified if you can accept a timestamp entered in a helper column ; each time a row is completed , a timestamp can be entered , so that at any time , you always know which row was updated when.

Nothing , neither what you suggest nor what I am suggesting , can be done using formulae. At least , not in a fool-proof , simple way.

Narayan

Hi Narayan
Thanks for the reply, Would you say little more about accepting a timestamp entered in a helper column. Please explain this. Where and how to enter timestamp, and how to view the latest updated. is that also require vb or just window menus. Please

Hi Raju ,

That is the reason I said that VBA will provide a more robust solution. A formula-based solution is not advisable.

Narayan

No. it is working perfectly. What is the problem i am facing is if you copy the formula and paste it somewhere, it gets the value and not time, so the problem. Now it is sorted out. You have to first select the entire column with custom format time in dd/mm/yyyy h:mm:ss and then enter the formula and copy it to required cells, before starting the data entry. Then you enter against any row and it gets the time stamp and you can save it and close and reopen the time is there as it was. Real helpful answer. Thanks chandoo for the article in my link and naryanan for the tips

Back