• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Help needed with Conditional Formatting

vk7

I am seeking assistance with applying conditional formatting to Row 2 of my spreadsheet. My goal is to compare values between Row 2 and Row 3 on a column-by-column basis. Specifically, I want to highlight any column in Row 2 where the corresponding values in Row 3 do not match.

For example:

Compare A2 with A3
Compare B2 with B3
Continue this comparison for all columns in Row 2 (A to BE)
I believe the EXACT function can be used to achieve this comparison. I attempted to test this by entering the formula =EXACT(A2, A3) in Row 4 for verification purposes. However, I encountered difficulties setting up the conditional formatting to highlight the relevant columns in Row 2 based on this comparison.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance on how to properly set up the conditional formatting rules to achieve this desired result.

Attachments

• Conditional_Formatting.xlsx
    11.6 KB · Views: 1
So you want to apply CF to Cell which share same value?
Select A2:AN2.
Then use formula to format.
=A2=A3
Or you can use Exact as well.

Attachments

• Conditional_Formatting.xlsx
    11.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: vk7
Hello @Chihiro, thanks for helping.

I would like to have the CF to Cell which shares different value.. For example text can be same in Cell K2 "English" but in K3 if it is "English " then it should not match as it contains trailing space in K3 therefore it is should not be considered as exact match.

Then something like below. But note, it will only capture extra spaces causing difference.
=AND(K2<>K3,TRIM(K2)=TRIM(K3))

But in general, it's far better to apply data clean up to range. Rather than try and identify individual issues.

Good Point. But these data is exported from DB and I am importing as is.. Therefore I would like to find the discrepancies rather than trimming them in excel which hides the reality under the hood.

So without using the TRIM function, is there a way to achieve the results that I have asked for?

I guess most likely the below should work ?

=A2<>A3

Last edited:
Use TRIM. It won't alter stored value. It's just used in CF, to check if extra spaces are causing otherwise same text to be mismatch.

If you just use =A2<>A3. Then it will mark every cell that is different between row2 & 3. Ex: It will mark Married/Single as flag. Which I don't think you want.

Edit: If you wanted to check for partial match, but not full match. Then something like... This will handle extra char other than space.
=AND(K2<>K3,OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(K2,K3)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH(K3,K2))))

Back