• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Conditional Formatting Question.

apmitch

Can you please advise! I am using Excel 2007, I am trying to use conditionaly formatting Icons. Basically when I get a higher figure below a figure above I get a Green Arrow pointing upwards, this is working. When the figure below is less than the figure above I get a Red arrow pointing down, ok but when I get a figure the same I get a Green arrow pointing up, rather than an Orange arrow point hozonatally. I am using ICON,s 3 coloured arrows, numbers, I just cannot get the orange arrow to work. I hope you understand this question, I tried to copy and paste my example but it will not allow me to paste my example.

Hi ,

I am not sure I have understood you correctly , but I'll tell you what I tried.

Assume the two numbers are in cells I9 and I10.

For I9 , select a CF rule involving icon sets , and then edit the rule as follows :

1. Select the GREEN up arrow , when the value is > =$I$10 , Formula

2. Select the YELLOW horizontal arrow , when the value is >= =$I$10 , Formula

3. The RED downwards arrow is automatically defined.

For I10 , select a CF rule involving icon sets , and then edit the rule as follows :

1. Select the GREEN up arrow , when the value is > =$I$9 , Formula

2. Select the YELLOW horizontal arrow , when the value is >= =$I$9 , Formula

3. The RED downwards arrow is automatically defined.

Narayan

Are you sure you have used the >= sign in the formatiing & also number in the type dropdown, just be careful the value box goes 0 as soon as you change the type.

Hi apmitch,

Are you sure your figures are the same? I would suggest that there are some trailing numbers after the decimal point. i.e. 10.0000001 is not the same as 10.0000000

I agree with oldchippy. This is what i've seen many times. You may want to put a comment to the reader that the difference is due to trailing numbers. Or you can do something a bit different.

If you can get approval (as in my case) I rounded all decimal to 1 place. So the end result comparing 16.5% and another 16.5% would be the same even if the computed results were 16.54% vs. 16.46%. Management didn't care about the 2nd decimal place. It works until the next boss comes and want to see up to 2 decimal points so I round the figures to 2 decimal points.

Gentleman thankyou for your help, I have done what NARAYANK991 suggested, this is what I did before! (Its hard to explain) but why if the number in I10 is the same as the number in I9 I don't get an Orange Arrow? Green and red are OK if there is a difference one way or the other but why no Orange arrow if the numbers are the same. I hope I am making sense? Please advise, and thankyou.

Can you please post your file or email to me

Click Excel Ninja

My email is at bottom of page

Hi ,

I posted what I tried ! The ORANGE colored arrows were very much displayed !

Check out the following link :

https://skydrive.live.com/#!/view.aspx?cid=754467BA13646A3F&resid=754467BA13646A3F%21133

Narayan

Back