• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

can i set an alarm (audio, or pop alert) in excel 2007

jraju

if suppose some due date is available in a cell or cells in a worksheet/s, is it possible to have a kind of above alert, when the date and time passes, like gmail alert thro gmail notifier. I read in a thread that it could be done with linking to outlook. But outlook, by default, if used swallow all other emails without user consent. I have lost all the yahoo mails, which were user friendly.
Is there any formula that could be used. If outlook, is the only source, how to set the alarm throught it. geeks pl

Why i have asked is, excel recalculates the time on every opening of the file.And all the cells in the excel files when opened is active. So, suppose, in a cell, if i enter a future date and want it to notify, if any dates in the sheet reached the time in the respective cell, i have to open and find manually. Is there any thing that could trigger those to a pop up on the desk top to notify. I may be having many files, with different due dates. So i ask. I do not understand the module you referred, as i am totally new to macros

Hi, jraju!

You haven't asked that at your 1st post, but however let me clarify this:
a) Excel recalculates times every open time if there's a volatile function like TODAY() or NOW() involved, otherwise it does nothing.
b) Even a lot of cells get recalculated, they don't actually trigger any action (macro, procedure, VBA code) automatically, the recalculation just updates cell contents and displayed values.
c) For automatically triggering any action you should use the worksheet and workbook events which let you handle the code used to respond to those triggers (worksheet change, which won't serve you since it traps changes entered by keyboard or mouse editions, selection change, which is very triggerable -excesively-, etc., if any suitable) or you should run manually (via Alt-F8, a command button, etc.) a macro or procedure with you tailored code.

Regards!

Thank you very much for the response, what about the outlook method, sir, pl
I raised my concern of using outlook, but could that be restricted to my alarm only.There was a thread, but it was confusing.

Hi, jraju!
I don't know, I always try to avoid using Outlook, generally go with Thunderbird.
Regards!

Back