• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Summary Tab - returning data from Dates

Confused Excel

I want to create a summary tab for an excel sheet where I return the points used every month for a client without having to manually add it.

So for example I have columns stating the date Sep 21 Oct 21 Nov 21 and the corresponding points in the cell below. I would like to be able to input a month date in the summary tab and it return the points used for that month - presumably by searching for that date column and returning the points. I tried with a vlookup but the date range would have to be 1st column which doesnt quite work for this exercise and likely something a bit more complex needed any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Example Excel.xlsx
    9.7 KB · Views: 6
In "Summary" sheet C4, formula copied down :

=INDEX(Data!C$3:E$7,MATCH(B4,Data!A$2:A$6,0),MATCH(F$2,Data!C$1:E$1,0))

Thank you for the swift response, will this formula work when I add on Dec 21 figures next month or will I need to edit it each time (which I would like to avoid obviously).

Thank you for the swift response, will this formula work when I add on Dec 21 figures next month or will I need to edit it each time (which I would like to avoid obviously).
If your Data sheet data will be increased, you could extend the formula range to a longer range :

=INDEX(Data!C$3:XFD$1000,MATCH(B4,Data!A$2:A$999,0),MATCH(F$2,Data!C$1:XFD$1,0))

or,

You could use Excel Table for the auto formula growing.

Last edited:
Hi, I have tried your formula but cant seem to get it working when I try and extrapolate it out for my sheet.

Not sure what I am doing wrong but I have copied the framework exactly, I cant quite understand the B2, B4 B6 choice in the second MATCH. I have uploaded what the format will be in this attachment, are you able to show the formula needed for that? Only interested in showing the closing balance depending on which month I choose - thanks again

Attachments

• Example Excel v2.xlsx
    14.9 KB · Views: 5
Hi, I have tried your formula but cant seem to get it working when I try and extrapolate it out for my sheet.

Not sure what I am doing wrong but I have copied the framework exactly, I cant quite understand the B2, B4 B6 choice in the second MATCH. I have uploaded what the format will be in this attachment, are you able to show the formula needed for that? Only interested in showing the closing balance depending on which month I choose - thanks again

In "Summary" sheet C4, formula copied down :

=INDEX(Data!B$12:X$19,MATCH(B4,Data!A$7:A$14,0),MATCH(F$2,Data!B$5:X$5,0))

Back