• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Protect input data after save

ASitka

Hello!

I have a table in a worksheet that goes from columns B to I and down to row 250. I would like to input data, then have that data locked only after saving the document. This way, mistakes can be corrected before saving, but work cannot be changed after saving.

Can anybody help with this? Thanks in advance!

Hello!

I have a table in a worksheet that goes from columns B to I and down to row 250. I would like to input data, then have that data locked only after saving the document. This way, mistakes can be corrected before saving, but work cannot be changed after saving.

Can anybody help with this? Thanks in advance!
Hello

Quite Interesting Question.

As per my knowledge you can achieve the desired behavior of allowing data entry and then locking it after saving the document, you can follow these steps:

1. Protect the Worksheet:
- Select the range where you want users to input data (columns B to I and down to row 250).
- Right-click on the selected range and choose "Format Cells."
- Go to the "Protection" tab and uncheck the "Locked" option.
- Now, protect the worksheet by clicking on the "Review" tab, then "Protect Sheet." Set a password if needed.

2. Enable Worksheet Protection Options:
- When you protect the sheet, you will see options to allow certain actions. Make sure to check "Select locked cells" and uncheck "Select unlocked cells" if you want users to be able to select the input cells only.

3. Save the Document:
- Save the document after entering data. This will lock the cells as per the protection settings.

Now, users can enter data freely before saving, but after saving, the cells will be locked, and any attempt to modify them will be restricted unless the sheet is unprotected using the specified password.

Remember to keep a record of the password used for sheet protection, as it will be required to unprotect the sheet and make changes in the future.

Back