• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

How to Check Data Sources in Power Pivot Model

SmartSerky

Hi

a simple question. I have 3 tables in my power pivot model and I want to check what the data source is for each of them. Each sheet only has a name showing on the tab. I have checked 'design' and then 'table properties' for each sheet. One sheet shows the 'connection name' which I can then check in 'existing connections' to verify the actual source. The other two sheets have 'table properties' greyed out. How do I locate their source data?
Thanks

in the PowerPivot model (what you did, I think)

or in Excel in Data tab (check both queries, as you may have Power Queries feeding the data model, and connections)

Thank you for your reply but I'm finding this really confusing as there seems to be multiple ways to check queries/connections yet none of these show the whole picture - and I find that I'm trying to reconcile the different set of informations.

Is there a resource that clearly explains:
1. the 'existing connections' under 'data' in excel
2. the 'queries and connections' under 'data in excel
3. the 'existing connections' under 'home' in the power pivot model
4. the 'table properties' under 'design' in the power pivot model
5. how these all relate to each other

I need to easily identify the different data sources being used and how they are being used.

Thanks

You might want to share a sanitized version of your file so we can assist you better.
Data, queries and connections should provide you the full picture.
Just thought of this too. One can paste values in a table in the datamodel. Then there is no source.

Back