• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Formula to sum row total not working

Jet Fusion

Hi all

I don't know what may be wrong or why it won't calculate correctly. Basically I would like B2:G2 to have a total in H2 and so on for the rest of the rows.
For some reason if I do a basic =B2:G2 it give the same values next to the adjacent cells of the total cell.

Please can somebody assist me with the formula to sum each row to have a total in H2 etc.

Thank you in advance

P.S I can't seem to add the file o_O

Last edited:
if you want a total sum
=sum(B2:G2)
thats 1 row

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

This will possibly enable a quicker and more accurate solution for you.

if you want a total sum
=sum(B2:G2)
thats 1 row

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

This will possibly enable a quicker and more accurate solution for you.

I have tried to load a sample as per my message above, it doesn't seem to want to load, It shows the progress bar then after loading it show the file with a strikeout - I tried xls and xlsx

strange
in which case maybe
put the sample spreadsheet onto a share

I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.
Please make sure you have a representative data sample and also that the data has been desensitised, remember this site is open to anyone with internet access to see - so any sensitive / personal data should be removed

Make sure you set any share or google to share to everyone

strange
in which case maybe
put the sample spreadsheet onto a share

I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.
Please make sure you have a representative data sample and also that the data has been desensitised, remember this site is open to anyone with internet access to see - so any sensitive / personal data should be removed

Make sure you set any share or google to share to everyone

Ah I see it was the size :DD attached the file

In H2 I have added the formula I did and tried the formula you gave in O2 but it returns a 0

Attachments

• TEST 123.xlsx
    25.6 KB · Views: 5
b2:g2 - is just an array range - not a formula
i think the values you have are seen as TEXT and NOT numbers

where is the information coming from into the cells

i did a TEXT to COLUMNS on each column , which converted into a number

have a look at column O now

Attachments

• TEST 123 _ETAF.xlsx
    26 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Firstly thank you so much that looks right.

I got it from one of the engineers and I suspect that he copied it from somewhere but I did not check to see that the numbers were seen as text "note for future" thanks

Cool thanks, so if I do what you say "Text to Coloums" to the original document which has over 1000 rows it should work as well?

yes - just click on first column - DATA>TEXT to COLUMNS > Finish - should be no need to go through each part of the popup windows - NEXT etc
Finish should do it
then
click on the next column
do each column 1 at a time

what version of excel are you using
it maybe sumproduct () may help - see how you get on

in 365 this works, without the text to column needed
=SUM(VALUE(B2:G2))

Awesome you are a star.

We use 365, so I'll try the formula above first if it doesn't work I'll try text to Columns.

Thanks again

Back