• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Filter function - making edits or apply format to filtered selection cf old row Filter selection ...

hakeae

I have just watched some videos about FILTER and am optimistic that it will mean that I can now change formatting etc for filtered rows, but can I have some guidance about this to get me started?
Previously I did this> big collection of data, I apply Filter, tick the boxes for the rows I want to work with. If I want to edit, format, etc, the visible rows, it's problematic because it's just that I am only viewing those rows; all the other rows are there in the background so although it seems like I am just working with certain rows, changes such as formatting if filled-down are applied to the invisible rows as well. When I select all rows again, I see that I have messed up all the other rows. aaagh. I have been manually selecting the visible rows one by one to make the edits. very tedious.
I'm hoping that using FILTER function, it will pull out the data, and I will be able to format, edit content (hmm as long as it does not change the FILTER selection criteria), and those edits then be updated into the parent table??
I don't know that I've explained this very well but I hope you can understand what I mean.

Thanks for feedback.

Apply the filter then use the Go To command and select Special and on the right select Visible cells only. You can then apply your colour once you take the filter off you will see it has applied this to only the filtered rows you had filtered.

Apply the filter then use the Go To command and select Special and on the right select Visible cells only. You can then apply your colour once you take the filter off you will see it has applied this to only the filtered rows you had filtered.
Thanks. I had a play with this with a simple colour format. If I use the raw data, GoTo, Vsible, <format>, it formats the whole sheet including blanks, even though Blanks was not selected. But ...when I made it a table first, and it worked a treat! So much to learn ...

it formats the whole sheet including blanks, even though Blanks was not selected. But ...when I made it a table first, and it worked a treat! So much to learn ...
the visible cells it selects are from only those cells which were selected before you use the GoTo dialogue, but when only a single cell is selected before you use it, it assumes you want the whole sheet processing in that way.

Back