• Hi All

Please note that at the Chandoo.org Forums there is Zero Tolerance to Spam

Post Spam and you Will Be Deleted as a User

Hui...

• When starting a new post, to receive a quicker and more targeted answer, Please include a sample file in the initial post.

Auto Protect when closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dianna Zueff

Hi,

I would like to use a Macro to auto password protect all worksheets AND the workbook when exiting my document. I have about 10 different tabs all need to protected upon exit but column B need to remain as unprotected (I have that part working) i just don't want to have enter the code in each worksheet when I'm done my edits.

PLEASE HELP!
Cheers
DREX

Something like this in your Workbook module.

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
    ws.Protect "password"
Next ws

ThisWorkbook.Protect "password", True

ThisWorkbook.Save

End Sub

This did not work. When I close and open the workbook again the sheets are still unprotected. See sheet 1 (BH). I copied and pasted above codes and changed "password" in both locations to the password I want to use. Please help!

I have attached a sample worksheet. The password for the worksheets is "test" and the password for the workbook protection is "chandoo". There are 2 hidden tabs (HO and BLs) that is why I need both the worksheet and workbook protections

Attachments

• Time_Off_Tracker_2016_MACRO TEST WORKBOOK FOR CHANDOO.xlsm
    129.6 KB · Views: 11
Ok, go to VBA module. Go to Project pane.

Find "ThisWorkbook" and double click on it, and paste the code there.

You currently have code in "Sheet1" module.

on a related note...in addition to the above codes ... is there a way to also auto hide the sheets named HO and BLs and protect workbook upon closing the document. So that there is no chance of forgetting and exposing the data in those sheets to eyes that shouldn't see them?

Thanks again.

Sure replace previous code with something like...
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Dim ws As Worksheet

For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
    If ws.Name = "HO" Or ws.Name = "BLs" Then
        If ws.Visible <> xlSheetHidden Then ws.Visible = xlSheetHidden
        ws.Protect "test"
    Else
        ws.Protect "test"
    End If
Next ws

ThisWorkbook.Protect "chandoo", True

ThisWorkbook.Save

End Sub

But do note that if user has intermediate knowledge of Excel/VBA. It's not hard at all to break the password and/or protection.

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!

I am aware and have advised my leadership team, that these protections and passwords are NOT security methods but only deterrents... I have also password protected the VBA code to add another layer of protection.

Thanks again for all your help!!
Cheers
D

Hello Chandoo,
How can i auto protect my sheet along with specific features like enabled sort and filter when closing excel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back